TIME FRAME: May 26 – June 18, 2021
Please refer to the email we sent with instructions on downloading and installing the software from your EQ Account.
Note: If you receive a 5013 error after installing, please use this deactivation utility to clear your activations.
The Goals for Testing the BlockBase+ Update
The goals of this beta-testing period are:
- To test the new features in BlockBase+, including the updater, the ability to export BlockBase+ Favorites as a library for EQ8, and the ability to print a sheet of thumbnail images of blocks in the BlockBase+ Favorites.
- To test various bug fixes as noted in the changelog below.
Reporting a Bug
We prefer you use the option in the program menus rather than bookmarking the web page and using the bookmarked page over and over again. When you use the link from within the program, your Beta version number gets pulled into the form, which is very helpful to us.
If you find a bug, please report it by clicking File > Provide Feedback on the main menu.
If you find a bug, please report it by clicking BlockBase Plus > Provide Feedback on the main menu.
We appreciate all findings, but the most valuable and helpful findings are the bugs that have reproducible steps. For example, if your BB+ locked up (crashed) when you tried to print all the templates for a block, but when you reopen BB+ and use the same settings to try and print all the templates for the same block again and it works fine, that’s not helpful. We need you to figure out the sequence of steps that made that crash happen. Sometimes this is not an easy task.
Please be very specific when reporting bugs. Upload screen shots if it will help us get a better idea of what you’re saying.
Bad bug report: A patch disappeared in template preview.
Good bug report: I’m editing the layout of the templates in the template preview for the block with Brackman ID 937.6, which I found after doing a “Published Name” search for blocks with “cat” in the name. I have the key block set to large, mirroring set to “mirror templates only,” and am printing all templates with the default block size and the default seam allowance on. I rotated patch B and moved it to another page and then it disappeared.
Please check out the items listed below, but most importantly, please play around in the program, trying anything that seems interesting, fun, or useful to you. We need to fully test all features of BB+, not just the ones listed below. Thank you!
BB+ Windows Version 22.214.171.124 and Mac Version 126.96.36.199 Release: June 21, 2021
- This update is to test that the fix for the “failed to check for updates” error that was released in Windows Version 188.8.131.52 and Mac Version 184.108.40.206 is working correctly. No other fixes are included in the file.
BB+ Windows Version 220.127.116.11 and Mac Version 18.104.22.168 Release: June 16, 2021
- Issue: Some users received a “Failed to Check for Updates” error message immediately after clicking File > Check for Updates (Windows) or BlockBase Plus > Check for Updates (Mac). This error is supposed to appear for internet connectivity issues, but was too sensitive and prevented users from using the update feature to download the new version. This issue has been resolved.You will be able to test this fix when we release Windows Version 22.214.171.124 and Mac Version 126.96.36.199 to the BlockBase+ Beta.
Beta testers may still encounter this error when trying to install this new update. If you have this error please try the following in order:
- Turn your computer off and then back on and then try checking for updates again in BlockBase+.
- Try checking for updates at a different time of the day.
- If the above fails, please download this update and install it manually by going to your account at electricquilt.com and downloading the latest version from the BlockBase+ Beta button. Log in here >>
BB+ Windows Version 188.8.131.52 and Mac Version 184.108.40.206 Release: June 9, 2021
- Updater: Depending on when you last used BlockBase+, you may or may not receive an automatic pop-up message about an update when you next open the program. The program checks for updates about once a week and won’t alert you until it is next scheduled to check. If you did not receive the pop-up message please check for updates by going to File > Check for Updates on Windows or BlockBase Plus > Check for Updates on Mac.
- Issue: A second Save As prompt was appearing after the usual Save PDF process had completed on Windows computers. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: The seam allowance field for Print Templates and Export SVG were linked and changing the value in one dialog would change the value in the other. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: Printing Favorites in Numerical order was not ordering blocks that had Brackman ID numbers with decimals correctly. This issue has been fixed.
- Added text to the Favorites Tab to clarify that clicking the Export for EQ button will overwrite any previous exported Favorites.
- Various other bug fixes and UI updates.
BB+ Windows Version 220.127.116.11 and Mac Version 18.104.22.168 Release: May 26, 2021
- Updater: A new Update system has been added to make the process of updating BlockBase+ easier. For future updates, you will be notified when a new update is available. Alternatively, choose File > Check for Updates on Windows or BlockBase Plus > Check for Updates on Mac. Read more here >>
- Print Favorites: Print a reference sheet of the blocks that you have added to your Favorites in BlockBase+. Read more here >>
- Export Favorites for EQ: Export a library of your Favorites from BlockBase+ to easily find them when you have the software linked to EQ8. Once exported, Favorites will appear at the end of the BlockBase Plus list in the EQ8 Block Library. Favorites need to be exported each time you make changes in BlockBase+ to ensure the EQ8 Library is up-to-date. Read more here >>
- Export SVG Block Templates with No Seam Allowance: User now has the option to enter zero for the seam allowance when exporting block templates as an SVG file.
- Windows only: A second Save As prompt will appear after the usual Save PDF process has completed. Please click cancel on this second prompt.
- Mac only: If computer is disconnected from the internet for more than 1 minute during download of an update the update will fail but no error message will appear. The download will just appear frozen. To fix, cancel the download and close BlockBase+. Reopen BlockBase+, go to BlockBase Plus > Check for Updates and restart the update process.
- Issue: Users with new computers with the 11th generation Intel processors could not move templates in the Print Preview. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: Users with new computers with the 11th generation Intel processors could not change the display in the viewer (changing colorways or turning patch lines on/off). This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: Older computers could not display the preset Quilt Layouts. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: Program crashed if user tried to save over a PDF file that was open. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: Program crashed if user tried to export an SVG of the block image with “show patch lines only” selected while the colorway for blocks was set to line drawings. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: Program crashed if user entered the ^ character in the Published Name search. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: MacOS did not remember changes to the screen size made by user. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: On macOS the arrow next to the category name in the Block Navigation Toolbar would appear closed even when the category was open. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: Users on macOS were unable to print blocks, foundation patterns, or templates due to an out of memory error on the printers. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: User could accidentally add an extra extension at the end of the file name for PDF, JPEG, and PNG files on macOS. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: Published name search on Windows did not provide a message when there were zero results for the search. This issue has been fixed.
- Issue: There are a handful of blocks that cannot be sectioned for paper piecing due to the way that they were drawn or because the design is not foundation pieceable. These blocks were not clearly identified as such in the Print Foundation dialog. This issue has been fixed.
- Plus various other small bug fixes and UI updates.