Dear Jane Add-on for EQ
Dear Jane Add-on for EQ
Download for PC and Mac
For EU Customers
Don't have EQ8 software? Get it now!
$49.95 — $54.95
Dear Jane who?
In 1863 during the Civil War, a woman named Jane A. Stickle decided to make a sampler quilt. 169 blocks, 52 triangles, 4 corner kites, and 5602 pieces later… she had a quilt that, to this day, still leaves quilters in awe.
Jane’s quilt center was 13 rows by 13 columns. The Dear Jane blocks are known by letters (A-M) and numbers (1-13). Below is a close up of one of the corners. Notice Jane’s signature in the bottom-right! (Photo courtesy of the Bennington Museum, Bennington, Vermont.)
The classic Jane A. Stickle Quilt is available right in your EQ8 software! Plus, several more quilt variations to inspire you to make your own Dear Jane quilt!
- Use the classic Dear Jane quilt just as it is. Or, audition your own fabrics to see what your version of the quilt will look like!
- Start with a quilt variation provided with this add-on. Play around with different settings and blocks!
- Design a Dear Jane quilt from scratch using the blocks from the Dear Jane library — get creative!
Use the Blocks in the EQ Library
Don’t sit there tracing, drafting and re-drafting the blocks yourself; print them out directly from EQ8! This add-on for EQ includes all the quilt blocks (and border blocks, too!) to make the original sampler quilt, plus over 330 more! That’s a total of over 560 blocks that can be printed in any size. The Dear Jane Add-on libraries include:
- 169 center blocks
- 211 center block variations (These blocks are for alternate piecing methods; you choose whether you would rather do appliqué, rotary cutting, or foundation piecing!)
- 125 alternate blocks not included in the original quilt (log cabins, flying geese, stars, etc.)
- 4 corner kites
- 52 triangles
- blocks to create a simple scalloped border or the complex scalloped border from the classic quilt
- 169 quilting designs for center blocks
- 54 quilting designs for border triangles (52 plus one for the plain triangles and an additional option for TR2)
- 4 quilting designs for corner kites
Print Patterns, etc.
Print your own Dear Jane block patterns in any size, as blocks, templates, foundation patterns, or rotary cutting charts. You can even print the blocks just as they appear in Brenda’s Dear Jane book! (Did we mention that you can print them in any size? Just because Jane’s blocks were all 4.50″ by 4.50″, doesn’t mean your blocks need to be that size too.)
- Templates – Specify the size of seam allowance around each patch. Move, rotate, or delete unnecessary templates before you print.
- Foundation Patterns – EQ numbers each pattern, separates units, and adds seam allowance. Move, rotate, or delete unnecessary foundation pattern sections before you print.
- Blocks – Print them as line drawings, in color, or as quilting stencils! Print off your favorite blocks as line drawings and make quick coloring book pages for children.
- Rotary Cutting Charts – Print rotary cutting charts for blocks. (Keep in mind that not all blocks at the 4.50″ size can be easily rotary cut!)
- Quilts – Print your quilts as line drawings or colored with fabrics.
- Fabric Yardage Estimates – Calculate yardage for the entire quilt!
Track Your Progress
Want to keep track of your progress as you sew? Import pictures of your sewn blocks into the pre-designed EQ layout to see how your quilt is coming together! Print certificates of completion to mark the milestones on your Jane Journey. Or surprise a Dear Jane friend with a certificate. There are nine certificates to choose from, each in three styles.
Quilt it Like Jane!
Beth Lewis, a true Janiac and a long-time friend of Brenda Papadakis, has allowed EQ to include all the quilting designs that she discovered by analyzing each block of Jane’s quilt. We are so grateful that we’re able to include these in the EQ add-on so you can fully complete your Dear Jane journey!
You can view the quilting on each of the 225 blocks, then print the design for tracing onto your quilt top, or print the design with the block (as shown below) for your own visual reference.
Learn About Jane A. Stickle and Brenda Manges Papadakis
Read about Jane’s life, see where the quilt is now. Learn how Brenda fell in love with the quilt that changed her life. (Included in PDF documentation.)
Read Brenda’s sewing instructions for each block. Take a 12-Lesson Dear Jane class from Brenda as you make her small “In the Manner of Jane” wall hanging, while learning the techniques to construct all the sampler blocks. (Included in PDF documentation.)
225 Block Tips
All 225 blocks are included in a PDF document with special tips for each. See a side-by-side of the sewn block and the EQ block. Learn the reason behind the block names. Discover what size the block was in Jane’s original sampler quilt — hint, not all were 4.50″!! (Included in PDF documentation.)
Browse the Gallery
Making a quilt like Jane Stickle’s or using many of the blocks in her quilt is possible. See the inspiring finished Dear Jane quilts on display in the Dear Jane quilt gallery.
Did you own the original version?
Did you own the original version?
Did you own the original Dear Jane software?If you've owned and loved the original version of Dear Jane software, you will love this new version too! There is no upgrade pricing since this version is in a completely new format with new features. So it's up to you to decide if you need the new version or not.
Click here to view a PDF of the differences in the old version vs. the new version.
This add-on provides you with the ability to view the quilt, color with your own fabrics, then print templates, rotary cutting charts, and foundation patterns for every block in the Dear Jane quilt—plus yardage estimates! If you’re making the original Dear Jane quilt, just print and sew! If you want to make your own “Baby Jane,” you can use all the tools and features of your EQ software to create your very own quilt using the Dear Jane blocks in any size you want. Be creative and have fun!
Watch this video to get a full visual of what's installed! View video on YouTube >
5 EQ project files that can be accessed clicking File > Open Project in EQ.
- DJ1_Dear Jane Quilt-MASTER.PJ8 - includes the classic Jane Stickle quilt
- DJ2_Progress Chart-MASTER.PJ8 - project file for keeping track of your sewn blocks
- DJ3_Quilt Variations-MASTER.PJ8 - project file that includes some fun variations of the classic quilt
- DJ4_Quilting-Center Blocks-MASTER.PJ8 - project file for viewing and printing the quilting designs
- DJ5_Quilting-Border Blocks-MASTER.PJ8 - project file for viewing and printing the quilting designs
5 EQ block libraries that can be accessed by opening the Block Library in EQ.
- Center Blocks - all 169 blocks
- Border Blocks - all 52 triangles, 4 corner kites, and scallops
- Center Block Variations - block variations that may work better for different sewing techniques
- Quilting Designs - quilting designs that mimic Jane Stickle’s actual quilting on her famous quilt
- Good for Alternate Blocks - 125 additional blocks that could pair well with the Dear Jane blocks
Many PDF files that can be accessed through the My EQ > Documentation > Dear Jane directory.
- DJ01-Using-with-EQ - This is the PDF you are currently viewing. Everything you need to know about using the Dear Jane add-on with your EQ software is here.
- DJ02-Quilt-and-Block-Resources - This document has historical information about the Jane Stickle quilt, Brenda Papadakis’ story, and tips and information for each and every block in the quilt.
- DJ03-Lessons - This document includes 12 sewing lessons from Brenda Papadakis. These are her suggestions for constructing certain blocks in the quilt.
- DJ-Certificates (3 styles) - Award yourself a Certificate of Completion to mark the milestones on your Jane Journey. Or surprise a Dear Jane friend with a certificate!
- DJ-Journal (3 styles) - Celebrate the completion of each Dear Jane block by printing and filling out a Dear Jane Journal page. Your journal, telling about your life and times, will become as treasured by future generations as your quilt.
- DJ-QuiltLabel (3 styles) - The label is your quilt’s finishing touch. How we wish all quilts from the past had labels telling us who made them and when. When it’s time to sign your work of art, you can choose a Dear Jane Quilt label or create a design of your own.
- DJ-Stationery (3 styles) - These Dear Jane stationery sheets come in the same styles as the Journal pages, but are blank inside the border. Print them to use for correspondence, or for extra pages for your Dear Jane Journal. Or fold one into quarters to make a quick gift card.
System requirements for Dear Jane
- Requires Electric Quilt 8 (EQ8) software
- Windows and/or Mac version of EQ8
- Download -- internet access required for downloading
- 50 MB hard disk space