Newer versions of macOS (Catalina and Big Sur) are forcing all software to be 64-bit applications instead of 32-bit applications. From a development standpoint, converting an application from 32-bit to 64-bit is a major change. Since we are now on EQ8, there are no plans to make changes to EQ7. Once you’ve updated your Mac to Catalina or Big Sur, EQ7 will no longer work, unfortunately.
Here are a few options:
If you have another Mac that has not been updated to Catalina/Big Sur, then you can continue to run EQ7 on that Mac.
If you have a Windows computer, you could purchase the Migration Kit for your EQ7 license to install on your Windows computer.
Upgrade your EQ7 to EQ8. If you are planning to upgrade to EQ8, you do not need to have EQ7 installed or updated. Upgrading is just a discount for current EQ7 owners, and will install the full version of EQ8.
If you are planning to upgrade to EQ8, you do not need to have EQ7 installed or updated.
I have a 32-bit Mac & the EQ7 Mac USB version
To update your EQ7, contact Tech Support for a download.
I have a 32-bit Mac & the EQ7 Mac Download version
If your original purchase of EQ7 was a download from our website, you can simply log back into your account on ElectricQuilt.com, re-download and re-install. Downloading again will give you the most current EQ7. This applies to full EQ7 Mac purchases and the EQ7 Migration Kit purchases.
- Log into your account at ElectricQuilt.com (or click Your Account at the top of the page, if you’re already logged in).
- Click Downloads
- Find EQ7 or EQ7 Migration Kit in the list. Click Download File. Let the file fully download before trying to install.
- Once it’s downloaded, double-click the *.DMG file.
- In the *.DMG window, double-click the Trash Can icon to uninstall EQ7 first.
- In the *.DMG window, click, hold and drag the EQ7 icon to the right side of the *.DMG window and drop the icon into the Applications folder. This process all happens within the window.
- Start the “Electric Quilt” application from your Applications folder.